Saturday 13 October 2007

I only managed to play a couple of STTs during the week. The first one was unbelievable - it was super deepstack (5000 chips, 15 minute blinds) so a chance to play some decent poker....how wrong I was! After only 20 minutes we were down to the last 4 - why do these people play deepstacks and go all in with rubbish??? As a result I just sat tight with about 6.4k chips and waited for a hand to be paid off with by one of the muppets. I pick up KK and think great, here we go, double up time....if only

** Game ID 847161756 starting - 2007-10-10 20:36:22
** $2 Super High Stack[1485587]:Table 1 [Hold 'em] (50.00|100.00 No Limit - MTT) Real Money

- chieftain69 sitting in seat 1 with $5998.75
- winner11111 sitting in seat 3 with $19305.00 [Dealer]
- lesr sitting in seat 5 with $18252.50
- richmagpies1 sitting in seat 6 with $6368.75

lesr posted the small blind - $25.00
richmagpies1 posted the big blind - $50.00
** Dealing card to richmagpies1: King of Hearts, King of Diamonds
chieftain69 folded
winner11111 folded
lesr called - $50.00
richmagpies1 bet - $250.00
lesr called - $250.00

** Dealing the flop: Queen of Clubs, 7 of Clubs, 10 of Spades
lesr went all-in - $18027.50
richmagpies1 went all-in - $6168.75 there is no way I can lay down here and it was the right decison
lesr shows: 5 of Clubs, Queen of Hearts

** Dealing the turn: Jack of Clubs

** Dealing the river: 3 of Clubs
lesr wins $12837.50 from the main pot

End of game 847161756

This guy had been up and down like a yo-yo all game, calling with rubbish, hitting and then losing the chips again shortly afterward. I think its a terrible move to go all in with just top pair and such a poor kicker and is typical of the shove and hope mentality that seems to be taking over online. The sad thing is that he will continue to play like this as he sucked out a few more times and won the tourney.

In contrast to the above, on Thursday I played another super deepstack and it was one of the best games I've had in ages - no all ins early doors, people respecting re-raises, making laydowns - just the type of games I like and that deep stacks encourage. The game lasted almost 3 hours. I was never below 7k chips. On the bubble I picked up AA, I re-raised all in for 14 K and there was one caller after the original raiser folded. He had 99 and was the bubble boy. I then knocked out the 3rd place guy next hand with A9 vs A8. Heads up I was the was 2-1 chip leader but he was very aggressive and got back to even. He then suddenly became so passive (I presume he must have gone card dead ) which allowed me to take control again. I did suck out once when 2 pair came on the board to counterfeit his pair and I won with the A kicker. The last hand was 99 vs AQ and with no help for him I won the game.

The bankroll for the challenge is now $21.17. I probably won't play today as its England vs Estonia in the footy and then England vs France in the rugby semi-final so I'll be down the pub! If I'm not too hungover tomorrow I'll probably play a couple of STTs.

No comments: