Monday 15 October 2007

Poker Stars Blogger World Champ game

As I mentioned in my post yesterday I was playing the Poker Stars World Blogger Championship tourney - 1337 entrants, 10k chips, 15 min blinds, 81 paid - so an excellent structure and some good prizes like ipods, tickets to big tourneys and its a freeroll so nothing to lose! I was hoping to go deep and there were a couple of others from the Laddies forum (judge and pokerkaz) who were also playing so had something else to keep me interested too. This is quite a long post as I have poker tracker and therefore can pull out all the hands I played.

I didn't start off great and lost about 1k chips after the first hour which was not like my usual tight style at all. I resolved to tighten up and wait for some good hands and play position instead of limping with crap!

I managed to get 650 back in level 2 when JJ held up and then in level 4, my TT held up on Q9K34 board for 2.1k - this took me back to 9k.
Pokerkaz then joined my table to my right and I was hoping that we weren't going to knock each other out - she raised my big blind a couple of times and I was happy to fold crap!

Then I was card dead until near the end of level 5 when I looked down at KK. I raised to 1.6k (4x bb) hoping for some action and was called. The flop came Q93 (2 clubs) and I called the all in who had J8 and i was up to 13.5k.

Unfortunately Kaz went out with A6 running into QQ which was a shame as its always nice to see people you know do well.

Next level I had KK and QQ but all folded to my preflop raises. TT on a 53629 board against AQ doubled me up to 23k and I was starting to feel pretty good - waiting for hands and then getting paid off is pretty cool!

Level 8 and the blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante and if you go card dead your stack can dwindle pretty quickly. I'd not made a raise for a while and my raise with 55 got respect. Next hand I raised with AQ and got a caller. A flop of QJ2 had me betting 2.4k and getting a caller. 6 on the turn and a 3k bet saw me win an 8K pot and up to 26k.

Level 10 and i find TT. There's a raise to 6.8k, a call and I re-raise 12k all in and get 1 caller with A7 and the J2946 board takes me to over 40k. No cards for the next 30 hands but a couple of raises in position with QQ & 99 take down the blinds and antes. At this point I was still well outside the top 100 but getting closer. I went card dead for the next 40 or so hands and found myself getting ever closer to the bottom places as those with big stacks raised and re-raised. I was conscious that they were likely to call me if I pushed and I didn't want to go out with a poor call with JT or KJ. With only 7x the big blind I picked up AQ and decided to make a move rather than blind out raised all in and a flop of Q77 was just what the doctor ordered and I doubled up to almost 50k.

Its now level 15 with 2k/4k blinds and I re-raise the short stack to 36k all in with 66 hoping to take down the blinds. He calls for his last 7k with 73 but the flop comes 456. I think 'yes' as I hit my set but then realise he has flopped a straight! The river 5 is a god send and my boat knocks him out and I win 40k lol.

I see that judge has gone out in 108th which is a shame - he has a report on his blog and it seems that he just didn't get any cards or the luck when he needed it..unlike me.

I go card dead again and I have about 20k left with blinds at 2.5/5k and I'm very close to bubbling and decide to push with KTd utg. I get 2 callers and the flop comes a lovely looking Ad, 9s, 4d, giving me the nut flush draw and a chance to triple up. The turn is a Kh which gives me hope and the river a delicious 9d to give me the nut flush and I just hope the pair on the bard doesn't fill someones boat! I'm now up to almost 70k and looking good to make the prizes although 81st-46th just get a PokerStars duffel bag and pack of cards! It would still be cruel to bubble though after playing for about 4 and a half hours! 4 hands later I pick up AKd and re-raise all in. I'm called by JJ but the flop and river bring me 2 pair and I'm up to 100k and 50th/95. I guess this was a bit lucky but you always need a bit to go deep in a tourney I think.

The last few players before the bubble take an age to go but we finally get to 82 left and hand to hand is in progress. Its now costing 21k a circuit and I am 81/82 with 73k. The first hand of hand to hand and I look down at AA. Its raised to 30k and I have a huge decision to make! Do I try and cling on and make the prizes as its taken almost 5 hours to get here or do I show some balls and go all in? I tell you my heart was pounding as I clicked 'all in' and he called with JJ....please please please I mumbled as the board came 2...Q....2....5.....4 and I mumble a muted yes as AA holds up and I'm up to 163k and a few hands later am 33rd/75.

Level 18 and I get AK and re-raise all in to isolate a short stack who has gone all in. He flips over JJ and its another race which I'm winning big time on an AA5 flop. The turn K seals the deal and I'm up to 195k.

I go card dead again but am starting to think about the next bubble which is where the decent prizes start 45th-37th get an 8GB Ipod and as I lost my Ipod recently, I really want to win one to make up for that! I've just blinded away to about 80k as I haven't had anything for about 60 hands and there are now 46 left and I'm 46th lol. I look down at 99. There is a 3xbb raise to 45k from a big stack with 300K but I decide to make a ballsy but probably stupid move and go all in for my last 80k. The insta-call is not what I wanted and when he turns over QQ, I'm gutted and think that after over 5 and a half hours, I'm gonna be the bubble boy for the prizes....not at all happy...BUT the flop is a life saving 49A (3 hearts) and my opponent doesn't have a heart. The turn and river are blanks for him and I've hit my 2 outer to double up to 186k and almost guaranteed to win an Ipod....yesssssssssss! I was so lucky but as I said before you need a bit of luck.

I posted my finish on a thread on the blonde poker forum and it turns out that longy (who I sucked out on there with the 99) was also a blondeite and posted to say he was happy to help me out and didn't realise that I posted on that forum which is quite funny.

We finally reach the next bubble which is at 37th and 36th - 27th get 80GB Ipods. This bubble bursts pretty quickly. Its almost 2.00am and I look down at JJ which so far has either held up for me or I have out drawn it in this tourney. I re-raise the big stacks standard 3x raise all in for an extra 135k but wince when he turns over his AA and the board is 5 bricks for me and I'm a gonna in 36th/1337 after 6 hours play! If I out drew him then who knows....lol!

By the end the blinds were 10k/20k with a 2K ante and it was becoming a bit of a crap shoot. Still it was great to play a tourney with such a good structure. I thought I played quite well, was patient, played my big hands aggressively and didn't throw my chips away chasing draws. I admit I did get lucky a few times and the 99 vs QQ was a massive hand and I was lucky enough to hit my 2 outer.

Looking at my stats on Poker Tracker, I played 416 hands, saw the flop 10% of the time (very tight), went to showdown 17 times out of 38 hands and won 77% of these hands which is a pretty good %!

Hats of to Poker Stars for putting on such a good tourney with great prizes and structure!

Now as the Ipod is probably worth about £175 do I count this as $350 in my bankroll challenge as this would be a real boost?..lol



1 comment:

judge said...

good honest report , ive got poker tracker but cant get the thing to import any hands but its good to see u do well and keep it going and hope the luck stays with ya !