Monday 22 October 2007

Not had a chance to play a game since last week as I was at a wedding over the weekend and was just too hungover to play yesterday when we got back.

But today I managed to play another deepstack stt on laddies and its fair to say it was a pretty poor game all round. There was an all in on the first hand with a rivered 2 pair knocking someone out - why someone would go all in with AT on a KT8 board is beyond me but if they keep hitting on the river they will carry on like it. Even more ridiculous was the next hand where the same player called an all in with A high to give back the 5k chips he had just won...just ridiculous really. Anyhow, I didn't see a hand worth playing until level 3 when I re-raised to 1k on a T82 all diamond board with AT. I didn't have a diamond but I was just sick of this one guy raising my blind every time and he laid down. I then picked up AA and managed to get 2 callers with a raise to 400. The KT5 board (2 spades) meant I had to bet and I got a caller. He then folded to my 2k raise when the 4 hit the turn.

After about an hour we were down to 4 with the huge chip leader with 32k and 3 of us with about 6k. The same guy as before continued to raise my big blind when he had the button every single time. I looked down at AQ and decided to play back at him after his raise to 1.2k. I re-raised to 2.7k and of course he re-re-raised me. I was pissed off now and called all in. He had 55 - can no one make a lay down these days? I think it was pretty poor play on his part to come over the top of my re-raise with just a small pocket pair. What did he think I had? Surely at best he was gonna be facing 2 over cards and therefore in a race (55%-45%) and at worst he could have been a 4-1 dog to a higher pocket pair. I was pleased to see the A hit the flop. I was less pleased to see the 5 on the turn which sent me out. Internet poker rewarding poor play as usual.

Thinking about my play afterwards, I think I made the right move and that he was just so lucky to hit his set. I mean its not that hard to lay down 55 is it...its not a great hand to play against a tight player after he has re-raised you is it - see above? I guess I could have laid down but I had decided that I had had enough of him stealing my blinds and so laying down after re-raising him would have just look incredibly weak.

I really think that more often than not people give no thought to what their opponent could have but just play the game based on their own hand. I was pleased to see that he didn't win the tourney anyway as he was a luck box more than anything.

Bankroll for the challenge is now at $22.77

No comments: