Friday 29 February 2008

Return of the super deep stack stts!

I was gonna play another $5 stt on laddies this afternoon so was really pleased to see that they had re-instated the super deep stack stts! The format was still 5k chips but 8 handed with 20 hand levels with top 3 paid $20, $12 and $8. So still pretty good and it turned out that each level lasted about 15 mins so well done Ladbrokes! I'd like to think it was something to do with my emails asking them to re-instate them......

Anyhow it was a successful return to the money when I finished 2nd for $12.

In this structure you can afford to see a few flops relatively cheaply and hope to hit a monster. In level 1 I had 22 and , called for 40 with 2 others. The flop came QJ2 with 2 hearts which was what I was hoping for apart from the flush draw and I raised a 200 bet to 563. I was re-raised to 763 and so i re-raised all in. The short stack called for his last 1.6k with KQh so he had middle pair and a flush draw. This time my set held and I was up to 8.1k.

My luck continued with sets and I won 1.8k after checking in the big blind with T5 and hitting a TT2 flop which again gave a flush draw. Once again the flush never came and I won 1.8k. Things were going well!

I thought things were gonna turn bad when I folded K8 and K5 in early position pre-flop and watched in horror as I would have flopped a full house each time and won a shed load of chips! lol Still I guess pre-flop it was the right decision as I will lose more in the long run calling with rubbish than I would win.

I didn't pick up any cards for ages and was very passive as there was big chip leader with 15k who was min raising every single hand. When he did show down he had 92 or 83 but it just wasn't worth taking him on with rubbish ans there was no need as the blinds were still only 50/100 and I had 9k. It was just a case of sitting tight as i was in 2nd/3rd and waiting to pick up a big hand to take him on. In level 6 it duly arrived and i raised with QQ in the big blind to 2.4k. Of course the chip leader called and the flop came T64 with 2 diamonds giving another flush draw! I checked and then re-raised the chip leader all in. Of course he called for 4k with a flush draw which he missed and I was up to 12k.

In level 7 I picked up JJ and raised the chip leaders pre-flop bet to 1.2k which he unfailingly had to call. The flop came AQJ with 3 spades giving me a set but I didn't like it one bit! He led out for 750 and I called. The turn was 9 spades which was a horrible card for me. He bet out 2.7k and I had to fold. Weak or sensible play? I guess I had outs if the board paired even if he did have a flush but I would have been seriously short stacked and we were on the bubble so I bottled it I guess! lol.

The bubble came and went and the chip leader ended up donking his 30k chips off, unfortunately not to me and heads up I was a 5-1 chip dog. I didn't get a hand and the other guy played very aggressively raising almost every hand as he knew I could not call with rubbish like 64, 92, J3. I managed to doubled up with 99 to about 5k and had a little run of cards where i was aggressive and re-raised him and got back to 7k. In the end we got them all in with A9 and he had KK and that was that.

I played another stt this evening and went out to a bad beat. I never really got going as I just didn't get any cards but was at around 6k after winning 1.8k with top pair of Q. I won a few small pots with AK but my 2x big blind raise with AA was folded round grrr. I was on around 6k with 5 players left and I had KK in the big blind. The loose chip leader raised to 600 and I re-raised to 1.5k, he re-re-raised me all in for 10k and I called. I think that it was piss poor play when he showed TT but of course he was rewarded with a T on the river grrrr!

Do people not pay attention when playing online? Don't answer that because we know they don't! I mean what did he think I would re-raise the chip leader with? 99? Jesus Christ! Well lets just hope that everyone at this level plays as badly as that!

Anyway its good to see a decent structure STT available again. OK the cash isn't as good as its only 8 handed but I reckon that I will cash in these more often than not given the poor standard of play on display today..... but time will tell!

The challenge bankroll is now $245.60

No comments: