Saturday 23 February 2008

Nice tourney cash!

Just had a nice cash for $90 in the Gala Poker $1000 new player freeroll! 109 players with 1.5k starting stack and a 15 minute clock with top 10 paid - so not a bad pay day for the top few places.

I had my usual slow start with nothing until level 3 when I flopped a set with JT in the big blind and was paid off after I check-called the flop and then re-raised all in on the K turn - he had AK and I doubled up. I didn't get many cards after QQ in level 4 when I hit a set on the flop but no one else had anything and all folded to my river bet.

It was then a case of grinding away and waiting for a hand to raise with. I picked up QQ, KK but never really got paid off big. I then got unlucky and then lucky with TT in the big blind. I called a short stacks 2k all in. It was a good call as he had A6. The A on the flop would have taken me back to 2.5k but the T on the turn and the river A gave me a full house and I won 4k. Raising 2k with AK under the gun brought me 4.6k on a checked down 66663! board.

I was in the top 20 for ages and then up to 7th/8th as we gradually moved towards the money. Unfortunately when we were down to 2 tables I was on the table with the 4 chip leaders whilst the other table had all the short stacks which was not a great situation as each time I pushed to steal the blinds it was a risk as they all could knock me out if I ran into a monster. I managed to get some breathing space and up to 10k when one of my pushes with QT in the small blind was called by 44 but a Q on the flop was a welcome sight!

The last few players and then the bubble took an age but it finally burst and I was on the final table in 9th. I hung around but was in a tough spot as I had about 10k and was stuck between the 2 chip leaders with c. 40k each. I was just waiting for a hand to shove all in with and gradually crept up the money as other short stacks pushed and were taken out by the big stacks. I bet 6k pre-flop with KK hoping for a caller and was pleased to see the chip leader put me all in with his TT. He didn't suck out and I won 22k and was in with a chance. As I now had a stack to play with I could be more aggressive and raise pre-flop but still have enough to fold if re-raised. I picked up TT, AK, AJ and won the blinds only with 3x big blind raises.

I was then was card dead when there were 6 left and was the short stack with 4 left. I had about 10k and called an all in with 55 hoping to be up against 2 over cards at best but the 99 held up and I was out in 4th for $90.

I was pleased with the cash and also the way I played as I was patient and only got lucky once really. My big cards held up which is what you need to go deep in any tourney and I was pleased that I was aggressive at the right times and didn't make any real bad plays...well i thought so anyway!


Challenge bankroll is now $250.10...woo hoo!

No comments: