Thursday 6 December 2007

Something different

Hopefully I will get a chance to play another STT tonight as I doubt I'll get much time over the weekend.

I intend to try something slightly different and do something that Chris Ferguson once advised...'only ever raise or fold preflop, never call.' I think that this is pretty good advice as limp calling preflop doesn't give you much idea of where you are in a hand relative to any other hands. And if a hand is good enough to call with then it should be good enough to raise with otherwise its a marginal hand and not worth playing!

I think that a raise where you would normally call is quite easy to stick to early in a game when blinds are small and a raise will not take up much of your stack. It gets harder later on as the blinds get bigger and a raise will be a bigger chunk of your stack. However, I guess this is where it will help me to be more aggressive with a wider range of hands than I would normally be. Then again I'm sure we have all loved it when we have limped preflop with rubbish to mix it up a bit and flopped a boat or straight and won huge pot against someone slow playing a big pair!

I'm sure we all know that aggression is what usually counts in no limit hold 'em - well controlled aggression, not maniac play so we will see! I will post my Poker Tracker stats after the game.....lol I'l probably be out in the first level!

No comments: